... where visionaries, game changers, and challengers discuss business models
A few weeks ago, I searched for a free online tool to build a business model canvas but I didn't find any on my first search, so I decided to build my own, and I just wanted to share it with you. http://businessmodelcanvas.herokuapp.com
Currently, I'm hosting it on Heroku but I'm planning to buy a domain and move it to another dedicated server. The boards now are public, which means anyone can edit the canvas, I'm working on adding the private canvas feature, push notifications (when a user adds a card it appears directly on the other user's board when sharing the same board) and some other cool features. Please, stay tuned. If you've any comments or feedback please drop me a message and sure I'll check it and respond.
Wow. This was very cool and very handy. Good work and thank you!
Thanks Erlend for reaching out! Do you have any comments, suggestions, features to add ... ? I'm working on the features I mentioned earlier but do you've any further features do you want me to add?
To be honest I haven´t tested it enough to give you a thorough feedback. Some quick replies:
1. When you click add card and click to edit the Title field.. the text in the textbox should turn blank.
2. There should be a pdf/image export function. I understand that the user can click File->Print->prin to pdf, but it would be nice to export it with a button.
I will give you some more feedback when I have tested it more!
Erland - with http://bmfiddle.com I did implement a PDF export in addition to the "just print" in your web browser.
I found PDF had many technical downsides and went with direct printing in your web browser. The disadvantage is it varies slightly across web browsers: Chrome is perfect, just print. Firefox, Opera you may need to enable background colors, Safari on windows has no background color setting. Microsoft Explorer needs background colors enabled but in general versions < 9 are not great.
Also there are 2 display modes in BMFiddle - the default canvas view and a list view. Click the item title or below top bar to display the toolbar and toggle display modes. The reason is two-fold:
1. On small screen mobile the canvas would not work so a list of blocks is logical. Block listing order can be set under settings - so in list view they are displayed in the workflow/completion order.
2. I wanted to retain the proportions/layout of the canvas for nice printing (letter/A4 landscape) so decided to fix the layout. This means if you have lots of notes/items they are not all visible in canvas view. The idea is your most important/key items will be at the top and so display/print in a nice standard format/layout canvas. You can print the list view to get everything.
Did you see http://bmfiddle.com - we launched a couple of weeks ago.
Approach is a bit different to just adding notes - you can do that but there is also a "stack" so you can move items to/from a blocks to/from stack.
- You can share your canvases with anyone but only you can edit.
- Anyone can copy and change a canvas (if they have the link) making a new fork/revision. for example you can start with the Skype example from the BMG book and just edit it to create a new canvas (http://bmfiddle.com/f/#/yJSnj)
- Print - just print from your browser.
- Support images on canvas and mobile to desktop. Great for personal canvases and gather information. Just snap a pic on your mobile and email it to your canvas or upload from your desktop web browser.
- Filter on item/note colors, favorite and search all text instantly.
- Templates for Business Model Generation, Business Model You, Lean, UX and a blank template.
- Edit any template to create your own (or start with blank). Includes changing all help information. So you can easily setup a workshop/course template with notes/help specific to your needs.
- Format notes with markdown
- Language support. Can support most languages directly including Korean, Japanese, Chinese. RTL languages such as Arabic can be supported without too much difficulty - if you have need/demand for that let me know and I'll add an RTL option setting.
Cool Johan, it seems we launched the apps on the same time :-).
Regarding the language support I thought I was the first to integrate it but it seems we have the same thoughts =).
But as I mentioned earlier, I'm working on some different features and options. I know the features you support are wider but I want to ask you some questions:
Glad you like it. Yes I'd be happy to exchange details of the app and collaborate. Since this is not a technical development forum email me at email@example.com and we can pick up the discussion via email. Look forward to hearing from you.
As a general note to any BMG members - if you would like to participate and translate BMFiddle let me know. It is not a lot of work (excluding help page). I can supply a text file with all English text used and you would need to provide suitable translated text.
In exchange I'll add you name/details to the "about" section of the app under "settings".
Mohamed and Johan, thanks very much for the product that each of you has created! I look forward to seeing what you may come up with if you combine them. Great job.
Thanks Bill for reaching out. Actually, we don't have a plan to combine the work at the moment but may be in the near future.
Thank you too Sucipto and I hope you enjoyed using it :-) ... Keep tuned, we're updating it frequently and feel free to give us feedback.