Share your ideas. What should we be developing to help the Business Model Generation? Events, tools, projects. Let's do a brainstorming...

Views: 7709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about,

How it applies to higher education for onsite application from a business standpoint.  All organizations for and not-for-profit still have to be sustainable to maintain an operation going, and with higher energy costs, and more of us in the world there will be a need to make sure that, that is part of the pieces of the puzzle as well. 

Marilyn

Hi Alex,

Our MBA of Sustainable Business class used the BMG for a wide variety of capstone projects. The range of topics included a nuclear waste storage policy paper, higher education sustainability plans, roof-top urban agriculture, wind turbine siting, and an agro-forestry project in Latin America, to mention just a few. The general consensus was that the social and environmental cost and benefits blocks mentioned on page 265 should be included in the Canvas master on page 44, to make it eleven blocks. Or better yet, just include them right into the Cost Structure and Revenue Streams. My personal opinion is that it is time to stop externalizing social and environmental costs and benefits as if they don't matter. If we, as designers, are not willing to be honest about this, why should we expect those that follow to act any differently?

Terry

I suggest that one single box be added to the canvas underneath Cost and Revenue called Impact.

This could cover social and environmental Impact, as well as any other impacts:

1. Impact within and for the organisation - What will change (and possibly be wound down)
  2. Impact within the market/industry
  3. Impact within the wider world

New business models need to be tested, refined and finally implemented. This has consequences. And if you are a "disruptor", the impact and fine-tuning of the business model will change over time too.

The beauty of the Business Model Canvas is its simplicity, so I don't suggest adding "another box" lightly. However, I view considering the impact to be so vital it should be a standard question on the canvas.

Regards, Ian Moncrieff MacMillan

How about useing the canvas as the base for a business model game, where the canvas becomes the board (like say monopoly) and the planning scenarios can carry scores as the players (company executives/ students/entrepreneurial groups) compete, generating awarenes and debate on the planning decisions based on their canvas information e.g. key partners, value propoition etc.

This would be in keeping with the group orientation of the modelling process and may generate awareness for the Hub and the book/books in new market areas... 

A business model framework centered around the canvas that has in it the guides, patterns, examples and tools would be a great resource to help business model generation be applied not just to a company wide transformation, but to any size organizational unit. The technical architecture world has such frameworks like TOGAFwhich provides practitioners the ability to leverage its components at the enterprise level or towards a specific areas. Likewise, the business model canvas can be leveraged across the company or in a sub-group with the use of the assets in this framework. I just published some ideas on the components that could be included such a framework. I look forward to hearing more the community's feedback on this topic.

How about tools to evaluate business models by capturing the feedback of existing and potential customers. How can we integrate customer feedback on problems and 'jobs to be done' in an early stage of building new business models, creating new value propositions and customer relationships?

Is it possible to create a new business model not only with a team out of a company using e.g. the empathy map, but co-creating it by integrating as much input as possible by real customers?

Reiner

* Integrate with Eric Ries' Lean Startup methodology / Customer development phase

* Segmented KPIs

* Access to industry/business model specific KPIs (perhaps that's more of a community/crowdsourcing function...)

* comprehensive video tutorials (should I say, packaged workshops?)

One more thing: allow BMG app template upload/sharing/download 

Rainer check out my free app bmfiddle that allows sharing and customizing any of the included canvas templates. Anyone can start with an existing fiddle (if they have the link) and change it as they wish and save to create a new fiddle.

http://bmfiddle.com

Working on export (spreadsheet) and printing (pdf)

One thing that I think that would be very beneficial are more indepth case studies. Some people such as my self need more practical examples from smaller companies that have used BMG to introduce new business models and disrupt markets.

I agree with Alex. Actual case studies showing where the BMC has been used to generate solutions in any organisational context would greatly enhance the credibility of the BMC concept.

I think we have to be careful with the idea fo creating a game around the BMC as this may have the opposite effect and diminish the credibilty of the BMC in a business context.

Some little changes for the canvas. I've been using it in Central America, and my coworkers said: "Why didn't you translate the canvas to Spanish? It would be easier for those of us who don't speak English".

So, if the canvas could be in several languages would promote it's use.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Alex Osterwalder.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service