Share your ideas. What should we be developing to help the Business Model Generation? Events, tools, projects. Let's do a brainstorming...

Views: 8568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great conversation from all...  thoughts that come to mind for me:

1. There is a growing power or synergy between the BMG and Business Model You in the sense of how we can link both frameworks for greater ownership, development and alignment.  This is between the business that is growing using the canvas and the individuals who have the responsibility of executing this growth.  Reflections on this has the opportunity of developing both sides of our community - the BMG and the BMY

2. It has sort of been covered - but one of the sectors that stands to benefits greatly from the business model is the not-for-profit sector.  In Australia that whole sector is going through a good deal of reform.  Having a book or section of a book dedicated to practical examples of BMG in Social or the NFP sector - including a focus on the specific business sustainability issues faced by NFPs - would be extremely beneficial.  It allows us to collectively solve some impacting challenges

3. BMG for Kids - can we help educate the next generation.  Sort of like the "pocket money canvas". Utilising the framework in a fun way to embed some sound business principles early in school development.

Cheers.

Alan, regarding 1) HR professionals worldwide are intrigued by the possibility that average employees (not just managers and consultants) can use the Canvas to grasp the organization's business model and contribute to improving/reinventing it. And from what I've seen, they're also intrigued by the possibility of using the personal Canvas as a tool to help individuals align their personal work lives more effectively with the organization -- and move either up, sideways, or out.

Re: 2) I also agree that Costs/Revenues need to incorporate triple bottom line thinking. NPOs and government organizations especially need this.

Re: 3) I've had a similar idea, but for high school students rather than younger kids. The state of financial education (really money management) at the secondary school level in the United States is abysmal (basically zero).

Hi Alan I just started a project with 20 social enterprises. The local government has withdrawn their subsidies and now they have to write business plans. I you have suggestions how to cope with these non-for-profit companies I would appreciate some input. I will also share my expereince. The project will be finished at the end of July.

Best Regards Marijn

It should contain a whole new chapter full of cases of business modelling, not only showing and explaining the canvas but also describing the process in great details. This chapter should answer questions like 'how do we got there?' I guess it is about put a little of this plataform - www.businessmodelhub.com - on the book.

In this chapter I would like to see cases of SMEs - but not .com companies and startups. Talking about john's snack bar on the next corner - and NPOs.

I believe this chapter would help BMG to be spread worldwide.

I do agree with you Daniel. I read the book and am not sure what I am doing. I'd like to have more examples of small businesses out there to which I can identify. It would be great if we could join together and share our knowledge on each other's businesses.

Similar to a number of people responding to this thread (Alan / Tim and others) I'd be really interested in exploring the potential of BMG as a tailored publication / trainings for the most disadvantaged young people in our communities. A way of being "a catalyst for youth-led social enterprise".

There is a a huge gap in the UK's education system when it comes to real, practical and useful enterprise education (i'm sure many other places too!). The potential impact is also not yet sufficiently measured / evaluated; there are simple ways to use schemes like the BMG to produce learning and outcomes that can clearly be shown to have positive social impact.

Additionally "tomorrows enterprsies" are those led by young people, leading themselves and others out of unemployment and hardship via advantaged thinking and networks such as that provided through BMG. 

Anyone interested in exploring further? 

Following any BM workshop or engagement there is a need for an action plan based on the outcomes. Perhaps the next step is to create the BM Action Canvas,

The framework would be the same and we could adjust some of the blocks as follows.

1. The VP block becomes the Action

2. The Realtionship block becomes the Risks

3. The Channels block becomes the Measures

4. The Customers Segment block becomes the Milestones

5. The Revenue block becomes the Deliverables

6. The Partner block becomes the Team

7. The remianing blocks remain as is.

Has anyone given any thoughts to creating a framework for action? I would like to hear your thoughts and see can we develop a logical extension to the BM Canvas with the BM Action Canvas.

We can map the model when there is consensus on content.

it's sounds very good

Sounds logical and good.
Will you share such a BMA Canvas with some more details? 

Thanks in advance.

Further to my previous suggestion I now attach a draft template from my IPad App. Your feedback would be appreciated as I think there is scope for such a framework.

Alex,

Why not do a PMI? As in de Bono's Plus, Minus, Interesting and see what comes up.

Maybe do these regularly at end of your talks, or during master classes.

Regards, Ian Moncrieff MacMillan

M:+44-7973-119-542

i donnt know. but i building the website http://www.bizmodel.org

RSS

© 2018   Created by Alex Osterwalder.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service