Does anyone has an interest on this conversation?

Views: 25163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan;
I am also an army of one. I have learned a great deal from my association and discussions with members of the hub. Key thoughts that have guided me in establishing my practice:
  • it is not about time and effort, it's about either product specific pricing (as Patrick van der Pijl talked about set prices for products like workshops), or value pricing (based on the scale and impact of the consultancy). I do not price by hourly or daily rates
  • consultancy is about the transfer of knowledge and skills to enable the customer to be better able to do the work, contracting is about taking the work off the table for them - I focus on consultancy, not contracting.
  • the products I deliver are standardized, i.e. the clients know exactly what they are getting as an engagement (education and innovation workshops - single or multi-day). There is the possibility of customization as the conceptual agreement establishes the needs of the client.
  • being a one-person shop has its advantages in a very low overhead that needs to be covered in the pricing. I do not operate out of an office, I am mobile.
  • this approach does bring its challenges as you are not following the traditional, procurement based approach to opportunities (rfp responses), but are relying much more heavily on network-effect and exposure to bring in contracts.

Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll definitely use it to filter other threads.

If interested I've just started a 4 Part series titled Management Consulting Will be Disrupted and would love your opinion on the issues I've raised

RSS

© 2017   Created by Alex Osterwalder.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service